Friday, March 16, 2012

Graduate School vs. Experience in PR

Finishing my Bachelors, I am faced with the dilemma of whether or not I should attend graduate school.


Although I have a unique situation (using post 9/11 G.I. Bill, military spouse, working mom), many other undergrads also debate what would be more beneficial to their career in the long run; graduate school or gaining experience in the field.


So, I decided to take a look at the PR field in particular.


Another blogger, for the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) new pros, researched the topic by asking 24 seasoned PRSA professionals about their experiences with graduate school.


When asked if a Masters degree made them more marketable, 66% said yes stating:


“My Masters degree has earned me automatic respect amongst colleagues and supervisors and has gotten my foot in the door in places I may not have had the opportunity to get into otherwise.”


“I believe it has given me increased credibility when pitching PR programs, particularly among clients with advanced degrees.”


A major con of graduate school was the delay in professional experience, which seems to be the main issue for many considering graduate school. 


Most PR pros also recommended 2 to 5 years of work experience before choosing a graduate program.


The main lesson I have learned from weighing my options is to take advantage of every opportunity you can.


If you have the time, money and resources to go to graduate school then great, do it! If you don't, don't let it stop you from reaching your goals.


I am a firm believer that if you keep an open mind and put 100% into whatever you do, you can accomplish whatever you set out to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment